January 30, 2008
Free Enlargements for Nikonians shipping worldwide
Nikonians around the world have been receiving free 13x19" enlargements of their favorite prints and they have some tips to share with those who have not ordered yet.
The most important tip is to remember the size of the final print when you are preparing your order says Nikonians Team Moderator Ernesto Santos. Members have reported receiving excellent quality 8x10 prints on the 13x19 paper stock because they forgot that crucial step.
Members have also thanked Ernesto for his handy preparation guide:
- Size the image to 12x18 for a print with a small border, 13x19 for borderless, full bleed.
- Make image adjustments and then crop/resize as desired with a pixel per inch (ppi) of 300.
Sharpen to suit.
- Convert to 8-bit color depth. Convert to sRGB color space before saving. Do not embed any color space in the save routine. Convert the images that are 16-bit color depth to 8-bit color depth after the image is in its final upload state. This will significantly reduce the file size as well and sending a 16-bit image will not improve the print quality. In fact it will only increase the time it takes to upload the file to HP and then to spool the print job once it is in the printmakers hands.
- The printer technician at the HP end of the workflow will apply the correct ICC printer/paper profile for the type of paper selected.
- It is much better to send the file as a jpeg and not a TIFF or NEF. These files are very large (especially the TIFF). A jpeg at compression level 10 should give you a file size of approximately 3 megabytes.
The free enlargements can be ordered by logging in to an easy order form that helps Nikonians upload photos, which will then be enlarged to 13x19"/A3+ (330x483mm) on their choice of three high grade photo papers.
Depending on membership level, Nikonians have either one (Silver), two (Gold) or three (Platinum) enlargements available.
The order screen begins by asking members login with their username and password.
The order screen will instantly show your membership level.
This ordering process can only be done once, so if you have the option to select more than one image for upload make sure you have made your choices before you place the order.
You won't be able to log in to the order screen again after placing your order.
You can choose from:
HP Artist Matte Canvas, HP Professional Satin Photo Paper and HP Hahnemühle Smooth Fine Art Paper with border or borderless. All prints will be 13x19"/A3+ 330x483mm).
You will receive an email confirmation of your order (usually within minutes).
The prints will be produced the same day you placed the order and be shipped to your address.
Shipping time estimates vary depending on your location. Most USA Nikonians can expect to see their prints within one to two weeks.
Posted by flashdeadline at January 30, 2008 6:59 AM